Sunday, October 30, 2011

I love the Scriptures!



So the other morning I was reading in the Book of Mormon. The apartment was quiet, the heat was on, and I just finished a bowl of Chocolate Marshmallow Mateys. Life at this point, is awesome. I came across a scripture that really struck a chord with me. Seemingly impossible, life got even better. This verse reads, "...whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction." (1 Nephi 15:24) This testimony is given by one of my personal favorite Prophets from the Book of Mormon, Nephi. I paused momentarily, then continued on as the Spirit filled my soul. The next verse reads, "Wherefore, I, Nephi, did exhort them to give heed unto the word of the Lord; yea, I did exhort them with all the energies of my soul, and with all the faculty which I possessed, that they would give heed to the word of God and remember to keep his commandments always in all things." Nephi has an incredible amount of love for the Word of God. The record that he kept, which we now have, he went to great lengths to preserve and protect. This record was everything to him! Why is that? One may ask. Well, here's why, "...they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good." (2 Nephi 33:10) Jesus Christ is OUR everything. The scriptures, are His words. They teach us what we should do. They strenghten our faith in Him. And they can calm the greatest tempest within our souls. I love the Word of God. I love the Book of Mormon which I know without a shadow of a doubt IS another Testament of Jesus Christ. In these words I find myself. I find peace. And I find the Son of the living God to be more real than I could ever imagine. My friends, feast upon the words of Christ. So many men have risked everything so that we could access them so easily. They are true. And I can promise you that you will 'draw nearer to God by abiding by it's precepts.' Please don't ever allow yourself to take them for granted. I know that I never will. Jesus Christ lives! Read about Him. That promise Nephi gave his brothers in verse 24, is applicable to you and I. I love you all. Stay classy.
Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment