Tuesday, February 14, 2012

It rains on the just and the unjust alike





So there I was, semi-reclined back in a magnificent sofa, it was about 8:00 o'clock, and I had a box of crackers at my side (Special K to make me feel good about myself.) In this blissful moment, I found myself reading the Sermon on the Mount, found in Matthew chapter 7. I've read it countless times, but this time something stood out to me that never really has before.
The Savior gives a short allegory about two men: a wise man, and a foolish man. So who are these fellas and what happens to them? "Whoso heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock." (Matt 7:24-25) The wise man here, built his life on Jesus Christ and His teachings. The foolish man didn't harken to the Savior's counsel, and he 'built his house upon the sand.' Well, "the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it." (verse 27)
What stood out to me this morning, that I guess never has before, was this: both of them were battered by the elements! Even the wise man had to face the intense adversities! The Spirit then wispered to me, we can't control the elements, but we can choose where we build. He, "sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." (Matt 5:45)
I have a firm testimony of the promise given by Helaman, a Book of Mormon prophet, to his sons: "when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." (Helaman 5:12)
This topic is something I have discussed before, but I have never looked at in this light. Even when we are closer to the Lord than we have ever been before, these trials come. Be patient, and stand firm on that foundation. He will deliver you. We must learn to dance in the rain. Have a great day and stay classy my friends.
Elder Hill

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful insight. It is so true! When we think we are doing the best we have ever done, and are the closet to God that we have ever been... here comes the rain!!

    It is such a growing experience and really helps to lock those newly acquired traits into place.

    ReplyDelete