Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Lord always sends us battle buddies

When we left the presence of our Heavenly Father, He never wanted us to journey through this world alone. We need support, encouragement, and often times guidance from those around us. That is, in part, why Eve was given to Adam. "It is not good that the man should be alone." (Genesis 2:18)
For those times that I get a wild hair and want to exercise, I need a workout buddy. Someone to push me and keep me from dropping the bar and darn near killing myself.
In the military, a soldier will have a battle buddy to watch his back and give him the strength that he needs. Well, throughout our lives, the Lord gives us battle buddies.
The Book of Mormon gives an account of a man named Amulek. Amulek tells us, "I am also a man of no small reputation among all those who know me; yea, and behold, I have many kindreds and friends, and I have also acquired much riches by the hand of my industry." (Alma 10:4) In other words, he was a pretty popular guy! Not only that, but he grew up as a follower of Jesus Christ. His father was a "believer," so consequently that is what he was familiar with. Nevertheless, he wasn't a righteous man. One day, an angel appeared to him and said, "Amulek, return to thine own house, for thou shalt feed a prophet of the Lord; yea, a holy man, who is a chosen man of God." (vs.7) This man, was Alma, a prophet. Amulek obeyed the angel's command, and so began the history of these two amazing missionaries.
Alma was sent to Amulek, among other reasons, to save him from his wicked ways. The Lord knew what Amulek was capable of, and sent one who could help him reach it. These two men of God proved to be the dynamic duo of the Book of Mormon.
I can think of a few "Alma's" in my life that the Lord has sent to me. One of which is my best friend, who is on a mission in Russia. He has saved me on more than one occasion, and has been a huge strength to me. He is a man of God. And I will be eternally grateful for him.
On the other side of the coin, the Lord will call upon you to be an "Alma" for someone else. We must respond to the call without hesitation. So I will end where I began. Our Heavenly Father never intended for us to do this alone. We all need a battle buddy. And there will always be someone who needs us to be their "Alma." That is what the Savior of the world would do. I love you all. Stay classy.
Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment