Thursday, April 28, 2011

And how do YOU know?

I have been blessed tremendously to be raised a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Most of my friends and relatives are members of this great Church as well. That being said, it is obvious to see that I really didn't know any different. I never doubted the things that I believed or practiced. Looking back over the years, I can see how this faith in Jesus Christ and His Gospel has brought me so much happiness. Because I grew up immersed in it, you could say that my testimony was based on other's. As I got older, my faith became less dependent, and more independent. I read the scriptures, lived the Gospel, and asked my Father in Heaven if they were true. Before long, I had my very own testimony in the Restored Gospel and the training wheels were off! A Prophet in the Book of Mormon named Alma, tells his brethren how he gained his testimony. In Alma chapter fives verses 45-46, he explains, "45. And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety? 46. Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me."
Gaining a testimony takes work! We must study it out in our mind, and go to our Father in Heaven in fasting and prayer to find out for a surety. This I know with all of my heart.
When I hit the mission field, my faith was put to the test. I didn't waver, but I really did have to realize what I truly believe. And through this 'work' Alma speaks of, I changed my faith to a knowledge. It is very real! The joy that has been brought is indescribable. You can know these things to be true for yourself, if you will do your part and put forth the effort. That is my challenge that I leave with you! I love you all. Stay classy!
Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment