Saturday, April 30, 2011

Moroni is the man, man!

As a kid, I looked at Chipper Jones as being the greatest man to step foot on a baseball field. He was my hero! He was and still is a great baseball player, but I viewed him as being immortal! Typical for a young kid, I would say. I still like the guy, but the whole "immortal" status is gone. My dad, is a hero of mine. For good reason! Captain Kirk (my paps) is the man. Many of my close family and influencial people in my life I view as heros as well. One in particular comes from the Book of Mormon. His name, is Captain Moroni.
Captain Moroni was a man of God. He led the armies to many victories that, statistically, they never should have won. The scriptures say that, "Moroni was a strong and a mighty man; he was a man of a perfect understanding; yea, a man that did not delight in bloodshed; a man whose soul did joy in the liberty and the freedom of his country, and his brethren from bondage and slavery; Yea, a man whose heart did swell with thanksgiving to his God, for the many privileges and blessings which he bestowed upon his people; a man who did labor exceedingly for the welfare and safety of his people. Yea, and he was a man who was firm in the faith of Christ, and he had sworn with an oath to defend his people, his rights, and his country, and his religion, even to the loss of his blood." Moroni was a real person. He was not a fictitious character or a well thought up hero for this miraculous literature. He was a profound example for a young man such as I. Matter of fact, for anyone! His life and his faith is reflected in this, my favorite verse, "Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men." I am going to live a life that someday, someone, will say the same thing about me. That is my goal. The more like Moroni I become, the closer I get to being the man my Father in Heaven and Savior want me to be. Moroni is the man. And quite frankly, you never get to old for having heros. Stay classy.
Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment