Sunday, June 19, 2011

Anything like you, Dad

So when I found out I was going to serve a mission in Tennessee, I figured I better start listening to country music. It was tough at first, I admit. Many a time I threw in some Def Leppard to avoid insanity. Okay okay it wasn't that bad... During my country music extravaganza, I came across a song I quite enjoyed. The title is "Anything Like Me" by Brad Paisley. Seeing that it is the illustrious occasion of Father's day today, I want to talk about my old man. And the significance of that song.
"...I started wondering who he was going to be, and I thought heaven help us if he's anything like me. He'll probably climb a tree too tall and ride his bike too fast, end up every summer wearin' something in a cast. He's gonna throw a ball and break some glass, in a window down the street. He's gonna get in trouble, he's gonna get in fights. I'm gonna lose my temper and some sleep. It's safe to say that I'm gonna get my payback, if he's anything like me." There is no way of hiding it, I fit most if not all of the criteria spoken of in this song. And from the glimpse of my father's childhood that has been exposed, he was not that different. The man my father has become, is the man I hope to someday be. If you know my dad, you love him. He is the unsung hero of my childhood. Many sacrifices were made so that I and my family could have a great life. The Master was the ultimate example of who we should strive to be like. And trying to match my characteristics of that of my dad's will bring me closer to being like the Savior of the world. My dad is my rock, and I know that I can always count on him. He has never given up on me. How he is to my mom is how I know I must treat my future spouse. No exceptions. He is a hard worker, and never complains. He always puts my sister and I before himself. I love my dad, more than anything. I respect him, more than anyone. And I will not stop until I have become the man of God whom I need to be. Hoping to someday be like him. Happy Father's day dad. Thank you for everything. Your love and your laughs have had eternal signifiance on me. I will always be grateful for that. Happy father's day to the rest of the dads out there. Stay classy.
Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment