Wednesday, June 1, 2011

We love our "Goofy" dads!


Anybody else love A Goofy Movie? I know that I sure do! It's a classic! I was a wee little whippersnapper when that movie came out. It will always be one of the greatest stories ever about a loving father and his son. And since Father's day is coming up in a few weeks, this is a great topic. If I do say so myself.
The record titled the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ begins by giving an account of a family in Jerusalem. The father, Lehi, receives council from the Lord to take his family out of Jerusalem because it was going to be destroyed. Well, Lehi and his family were very wealthy and had many temporal blessings. So when he broke the news to his family, you can imagine the response he received. Much like Max in our beloved Disney classic, many of his sons weren't too keen on their father's plans and they thought that he was a bit, well, goofy. One son, a valiant man of God named Nephi, had faith in his father and was willing to leave his home and follow. By no means was it easy on him, but his love and respect for the Lord and his father superseded all doubt.
Lehi was a great man. More than that, a Prophet. And he taught his sons how to walk in the ways of the Lord. Not all followed, sadly. But Nephi did. And he went on to do many great things and the first two books in the compilation of the Book of Mormon were written by his hand. In them we learn so many amazing truths about our Master, Jesus Christ. Without Nephi, we wouldn't have these other prescious words about Him.  Lehi had a profound impact on his son's life. And as you read the account, you truly can sense the love Nephi had for his dad.
I love my dad and I will be eternally grateful for the things that he has taught me. He, as Lehi, has taught me how to walk in the ways of the Lord. And he too has had a profound impact on my life. I love him! Never forget what our father's have taught us. Be grateful for them. Love them! And as Nephi, be willing to follow. Even if they are a little Goofy. I love you all. And I love my old man. Stay classy.
Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment