Monday, June 6, 2011

What matters most













Alright so I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I really enjoy cars. Particularly Mustangs. They're sweet! But unfortunately, they don't last forever. At first they look like this Blue work of art shown above. Then, over time, they fade, they break down, and they rust. Eventually they do run out of miles. Somewhere down the line, they look like the sad delapidated classic on the stand.
A scripture from the New Testament comes to mind. Our Savior teaches us in my most favorite sermon He delivered, the sermon on the mount, (found in Matthew 6:19-21,) "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." My treasure is my family. And the doctrine of eternal families that was restored to God's Kingdom on earth ensures me that I will be with them forever. That my friends, is where my heart is. Besides my Savior, they are what matters most.
It is easy to set our hearts on the things of the world. These beloved worldy things aren't always bad things! But if we are not careful, they can take priority over what matters most. Ask yourself if this treasure on earth is eternal. Or if it will go with you past the grave and past the sentinels into the Kingdom of our Eternal Father. Never forget what matters most.
Someone I have grown to love and admire once taught me that we should center our lives around Christ and His Gospel. When we do that, everything else will fall into place or fall out of our lives. Don't be mistaken, I am guilty of this at times. But being a servant of the Master has helped me realize the true order of our priorities in mortality. And I am striving to put my life in the order it should be in. Doing so has brought me a lot of happiness. Happiness that doesn't end at the grave. I love you all and I council you to take a step back and think about what really does matter most. This is my treasure. Stay classy.
Elder Hill








No comments:

Post a Comment