Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Who is Jesus, the Christ?

As Jesus stood before Pilate to be judged, the interrogation climaxed with the Savior's declaration, "To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice." (John 18:37) Today my friends, I wish to declare this selfsame truth.
First, who is He? And to what 'end was He born?' Jesus Christ is the Son of the Living God. He was chosen in the "determinate council" and "foreknowledge of God" (Acts 2:23) to come forth and redeem the world from it's fallen state. Every aspect of the Father's plan of salvation is enabled by the suffering and death of His Son, Jesus Christ.
It is pretty safe to say that Jesus Christ is everything, am I right? Even though He is everything: the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end; We must know how personal He is with us. We are everything to Him. Consider the parable of the prodigal son. (Luke 15:11-32) That story was given, to teach us His incredible joy in the soul that repents and returns to God. (Doctrine and Covenants 18:13) What about the allegory of the "good Shepherd?" (John 10) He knows His "sheep" by name. He knows you, and I, by name. But it goes so much deeper than a mere acquintance.
I have written quite a few different blogs about His atonement, but I wanna tell you my personal feelings about Jesus Christ. I know that He lives. I know that He satisfied the demands of justice by standing in our place and taking upon Him all of our sins, on the conditions of repentance. I have felt His hand more than once. He has supported me and comforted me when I really needed it. He has never abandoned me, or given up on me. He stands at the right hand of the Father in celestial glory, yet, He stands at our side when we are far from it. He is the good shepherd. And He is calling after you and I all the day long. Heed is call, and come to Him. Pray to the Father with all the energy of heart, that you may realize who you are in His eyes. My faith in Him has been strengthened dramatically through the scriptures. Especially the Book of Mormon. If you want to have engraven on your soul the reality and divinity of Jesus Christ, I invite you to read it prayerfully. My testimony of Him doesn't stand alone. Hear also the testimony of modern day Apostles and Prophets. The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles. I love you all, and I love our Savior Jesus Christ. True, He is everything. But He is my everything, too. Stay classy.
Elder Hill

3 comments:

  1. "...especially the book of Mormon?" Hm. This confuses me. The Holy Bible was written from the Dead Sea scrolls which were inspired in the hearts of men thousands of years ago by the Spirit of God. They survived all of those years in caves next to the saltiest air on earth. We all know what salt air does to metal. How didn't it completely eat away at the papyrus? How's that for God's hand? My confusion, my brother, is why you put emphasis on a book not written by the Holy Spirit. It is for me to understand others and to accept them. Will you elaborate from your heart? This intrigues me. I, as a Christian, blood bought, can't imagine reading (with heartfelt intensity) another book other than the Holy Bible. It's considered the One True Word of God, (however, God never discourages the reading of other spiritual materials.) Of course, I'm devout. As we both know, devotion to a faith or religion often yields such confusion from outside said faith or religions. I was surprised to see your post this evening as I too posted about who Jesus is yesterday morning. Mine is a bit different. More like, walking with Jesus up to Golgotha. Through my eyes, if you will. God inspired me to write it. He always does. If I try to write of Him without His urging, I stumble. So, I always wait for Him. Well, anyway, this was an encouraging and loving post and as your sister in Christ, I say I love you back!! Fare thee well brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! I speak so highly of the Book of Mormon, for it is the Word of God. It's words were inspired by the Holy Spirit, to God's prophets. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that it is the only recorded word of God. In fact, John closed his testimony or "gospel" by saying "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written." (John 21:25) This Book, the Book of Mormon, is a record of people on the ancient Americas. It is a record of their dealings, and testimony of Jesus Christ. It is not a re-translation or substitute to the Bible. It is God's word, revealed to prophets in the new world. Doesn't the scripture go, "For God so loved the WORLD?" Wouldn't He let the other people in the world know what His Son Jesus Christ did for them? He told one of His prophets, "Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?" (2 Nephi 29:7) He goes on to say, "Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also." (verse 8) You see, the Book of Mormon serves as another testament of Jesus Christ. Not a replacement testament. I can promise you on my name, that the Book of Mormon is the Word of God. I absolutely love the Bible. Those who know me, know my passion for it. I thank you for your questions! I'll have to check out your blog, it sounds fantastic. :) Godspeed.

      Delete
  2. Hi Elder, thank you very much for that in depth explanation. I understand much better now about the Book of Mormon. I've never had it explained to me. I've only ever known and studied the Holy Bible along with the Apocrypha. The Apocrypha, as you may know, are the books of the Bible that were separated from it as they didn't believe it to be helpful. I believe all of God's Word to be imperative. I wanted to stop in, say hello and read your reply. By the way, you have been to my blog. You left a very nice comment and joined. Perhaps you meant you would come read the latest post. I thank you again, my brother, and next time someone offers me a book of Mormon, I shall accept it and add it to my Holy Bible for fortification. Thank you for your devotion to our Lord and Savior, as well as your obedience. It serves to better our world for this time. All help is needed!! God bless.

    ReplyDelete