Thursday, August 30, 2012

Why is the Gospel the "Good News?"





As defined by the Bible Dictionary, the word gospel means good news. (See "Gospels," Bible Dictionary) So what is the "good news," and what good news does it bring to you and I?
Elder D. Todd Christofferson, an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, said that, "The good news is that death is not the end of existence and our separation from God is temporary. We have a Savior, Jesus Christ, the divine Son of God, who by His Atonement has overcome death and hell..." (Full address) This "good news" is true. I know that it is. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and that God has an amazing plan for our families. I don't know what greater news we could ever hear! I pray every day that someone I meet will accept our message of great tidings and glad joy.
"Although the world has troubles," said Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, "the gospel brings happiness and hope and eternity." Two thousand years ago, angels appeared to wise men, heralding the birth of Jesus Christ. (See Luke 2:8-14) Even today, angels continue to appear, adorned with black name tags, proclaiming the "good news." I encourage you to heed their message. (please visit mormon.org/missionaries) Have a great day, and stay classy.
Elder Hill
 

No comments:

Post a Comment