Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Shot Clock of Life

In a professional basketball game, the moment a team gets the ball in their possession, they have 24 seconds score a basket or else they will have to turn the ball over, or forfeit it, to the other team. The "shot clock" was introduced to basketball to increase the pace and excitement of the game. Well, life is a lot like a shot clock.
The fact of the matter is, we are all slowly expiring. Whether we like it or not, the clock is winding down. This is an important part of the great plan of our Eternal God. And because our time here is so precious, we need to make the most of it.
I love the beauties of nature, especially sunsets. The effect of a sunset lasts but for a small moment, and then the sun slips entirely behind the mountains of Idaho, or it disappears into the hills of Tennessee. Wherever it is, the beauty is often remarkable. But, a lot like the shot clock, it comes to an end.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the heaven sent aid that helps us make the most of this brief experience of mortality. When we are living the Savior's teachings, the 24 seconds we have with the ball in our possession, is remarkable. When the glow of our life slips behind the mountains, it will have been a beautiful sunset. I can't tell you how bad I want this to be the case in my life.
I have spoken a great deal about prophets and apostles, and about General Conference. Their words will help us make the most of our lives. Their counsel, when followed, will bring a successful life, well rooted in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I can't tell you enough how much I love General Conference!
Well my friends, I hope that you have a wonderful week, and I invite you to resolve to try a little harder to be a little better. Every day, and every way, we get a little better. Stay classy.
Elder Hill
 

No comments:

Post a Comment