Thursday, September 13, 2012

What is General Conference?


General Conference is amazing, and I want to help those who don't understand what it is, see why it is so amazing. It is a semiannual gathering of the Church, where the leaders of the Church speak to us the messages that God wants you and I to hear. It is held at this center (picture above) in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Have you ever wondered if God were to call an Apostle in our day, like Paul or John in their day, to write letters to the Church, what would they say? What would God command His representitives to say to the children of God? I have, and I've also seen and heard those words God has delivered to you and I, in our very day. They come in great abundance, in General Conference.
The Prophet on the earth, who is the President of the Church of Jesus Christ, will speak to us. Many of the 12 Apostles will also speak. I testify to you, their words are true, and they are from God. As you sit at their feet in an attitude of prayer and question, their words will feel deeply personal. You will find yourself saying, "Was that said just for me? Did he or she have me in mind when they prepared their words?" I have felt that. And such feelings have come because the Spirit will personalize their words, just for you.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the First Presidency of the Church, said, "The words spoken at general conference should be a compass that points the way for us during the coming months." If we will follow their counsel, we will be led to that path God wants us to walk.
So how do we watch this televised event? The Church has a way cool site that gives all the details, so check it out, and if you have any questions about it, please ask! (Link to this site)
My friends, come listen to a prophet's voice this October 6th and 7th. And stay classy.
Elder Hill 

No comments:

Post a Comment